Saturday, November 12, 2005

Transitioning to a New Job

Right now I am in a state of transition. The job I've been doing for the past 15 months was changed in a reorg and has been given to someone else and I've been appointed to a interim position until all the other jobs in the new org have been defined and posted. Next week I have to turn over what I've been doing to the new manager.

To faciliate the transition I have created an informal transition document that defines the organization and responsibilities. This document is somewhat stream of consciousness and nothing fancy but it should help my replacement to better understand what she is getting into. I've also created a Excel workbook with a list of over 70 issues that my team faces and the status of each issue which will also help in the transition.

The rule - truth in advertising applies here as well. You have a responsiblity to your replacement as a person to provide them with as much assistance in replacing you as possible. They don't have to accept it or do things the way you did but they do need to know what they are getting into.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home